[rules-users] Help with using Agenda filter and firelimit with Web Guided decision tables

guyt1122 at aim.com guyt1122 at aim.com
Mon Feb 23 16:55:54 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm using Drools 5.0M5 and Web Guided decision tables. What I want to be able to do is to create several decision tables under one package and then using an Agenda filter and firelimit option to fire one rule from a single decision table that I'm filtering.

What I did to try and accomplish this is the following.? I notice that each row in the decision table has a rule name that matches the following format: "Row 1 DecisionTableName", "Row 2 DecisionTableName" ... "Row N DecisionTableName", so I create a RuleNameEndsWithAgendaFilter agenda filter to only accept rules that ends with "DecisionTableName". Then I call on the StatefulSession.fireAllRules(AgendaFilter, fireLimit) with my agenda filter and a firelimit of 1.

What I'm noticing is some inconsistent behavior were the logic would work sometimes and not other times.? It seems to always works if there is a single decision table under the package.? After debuging the StatefuleSession.fireAllRules(AgendaFilter, firelimit), I tracked down the issue to the way the firelimit count updated in the "DefaultAgenda.fireAllRules(AgendaFilter, fireLimit)" and with the "DefaultAgenda.fireNextItem(AgendaFilter)".

I may have misunderstood what the firelimit meant but it seems like the while loop in the fireAllRules always decrements the firelimit count regardless if the DefaultAgenda.fireNextItem(AgendaFilter) calls the fireActivation method or the fireActivationCancelled method.? I would perfer the firelimit count to only get decremented if the fireNextItem results in a fireActivation method call and I think the logic will work for my scenario.? Looking at the documenation, it look like the logic is geared towards focusing agenda groups, but I do not want to have maintain a agenda group column on my decision tables.? I want each decision table to be an agenda group automagically.

I have included the following code showing the firelimit is always updated in the while loop below:

??? public int fireAllRules(AgendaFilter agendaFilter,
??????????????????????????? int fireLimit) {
??????? this.halt.set( false );
??????? int fireCount = 0;
??????? while ( continueFiring( fireLimit ) && fireNextItem( agendaFilter ) ) {
??????????? fireCount++;
??????????? fireLimit = updateFireLimit( fireLimit );
??????????? this.workingMemory.executeQueuedActions();
??????? }
??????? if ( this.focusStack.size() == 1 && getMainAgendaGroup().isEmpty() ) {
??????????? // the root MAIN agenda group is empty, reset active to false, so it can receive more activations.
??????????? getMainAgendaGroup().setActive( false );
??????? }
??????? return fireCount;
??? }

Thanks,