[rules-users] Working with compiled packages

Dan Seaver dan.seaver at ge.com
Fri Feb 27 18:44:32 EST 2009

Drools 5.0 - I'm planning on using compiled rule packages in our J2EE
production environment. I'm very interested in performance. I assume that
once a package is loaded, it doesn't matter if or how it was compiled, so
the primary concern is in the load time (unless there are other issues I'm
unaware of?)

Any difference between Janino builds versus Eclipse builds?
Which compiler does Guvnor use?
Is the high speed drools serialization being used for building / loading
binary packages?
Any faster technique for loading a binary package than using:

KnowledgeBuilder builder = KnowledgeBuilderFactory.newKnowledgeBuilder();
builder.add(ResourceFactory.newInputStreamResource(inStream),
ResourceType.PKG);
if (builder.hasErrors()) {
	logger.error(builder.getErrors());
	return;
}
rulePackage.Base = KnowledgeBaseFactory.newKnowledgeBase(config);
rulePackage.Base.addKnowledgePackages(builder.getKnowledgePackages());

Thanks in advance for any illumination.

Dan