[rules-users] Creating custom selectors using the "category" property for deploying certain rules in guvnor

Premkumar Stephen prem18 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 12:01:14 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a custom selector, based on certain properties such as
"categories" (primary property) and others such as status and author.

from the examples in selectors.properties, I could not see a way to create
using categories. In that file, some of the field described are
statusDescription, lastModified, creator, etc
I was trying to find the complete list of all fields that could be used to
filter the rules.

I dug into the code and came across "categoryReference" in
VersionableItem.java. Is this the variable that stores the category?
Since a rule can have multiple categories, how does this pan out? Is this a
Collection?

Also, where does the string "statusDescription" get tied in to the status of
a rule? This one throws me off, since it is a valid field, but I cannot
understand how it is being set.

If any of you could share examples where you have done custom selectors
either in java or in drl, that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Prem