[rules-users] Problem calling a function returning String

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Tue Jul 7 14:55:25 EDT 2009

   Remember that inside the eval() block, since you are using java dialect,
what you have is java code. So, == is checking for String identity, that is
not what you want.

   You need to call the equals() method:

eval( functionThatReturnsString().equals("1234) )

    []s
    Edson

2009/7/7 rainbowflower <al_aysha at yahoo.co.in>

> Hi all,
>
> I am rather new to Drools and I have a problem using functions.
>
> I have a rule like:
>
> rule "rule 1"
>    when
>           eval(getEVAVersionsNr() == "1234")
>        then
>           System.out.println("rule fired");
> end
>
> The getEVAVersionsNr() method is present in a Java class
> "ValidationUtilities.java", which I'm importing in my drl file and it looks
> like this:
>
> public class ValidationUtilities {
>
>  public static String evaVersionsNr;
>
> public static String getZEVAVersionsNummer() {
>    return evaVersionsNr;
>  }
> }
>
> This static attribute "evaVersionsNr" is set to "1234" from another Java
> class before I fire my rules. So, I assume that the eval construct should
> return true. But, it does not return true and the consequence is not
> exected.
>
> Further info:
>
> When I modify my rule like:
>
> rule "rule 1"
>    when
>           eval(true)
>        then
>           System.out.println(getEVAVersionsNr());
> end
>
> the consequence part is getting executed and 1234 is getting printed.
>
> I am really lost and I could not find out what goes wrong. If someone could
> find out what I am missing, I shall be thankful.
>
> Thanks in advance.

 Edson Tirelli
 JBoss Drools Core Development
 JBoss by Red Hat @ www.jboss.com