[rules-users] Guvnor web based decision table

Jaroslaw Kijanowski kijanowski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 08:37:54 EDT 2009

Johan Kumps wrote:
> Hi,
>     Johan Kumps wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>          I've a number of Excel based decision tables running in my
>         applications. Now I want to use Guvner to manage these rules.
>         Only importing the xsl files is not enough. So I have to
>         manually convert the xsl's to a web based decision table.
>

>     Why do you need to convert them into web based DTs? What's the
>     problem if you simply upload your xls file? Keep in mind that you
>     also have to provide (upload) a model used in your DT.
>

>  >>>I want to convert my excel decision table to enable busines users to
> update the rules when neccessary.

I see, and I guess, it's not possible for those users to update rules in
OpenOffice/Excel and upload them to Guvnor? See my answers below, but
they won't satisfy you ;)

>          I have following questions :
>          - How do have have to use an eval condition? Whitin the eval I
>         have to call a piece of java code with a number of parameters
>         coming from the fact model.
>

>     simply write a snippet in a cell
>

>      >>> In Govnor?

AFAICT that's not possible in web based DTs. Would need to be done as
part of some 'free form drl' I guess...

>         - How can I prioritize rules?
>

>     use the PRIORITY keyword
>

>          >>> In Govnor?

Yep, in Guvnor, this attribute is called salience (available from the
options section).

>         - How to use global variables?
>

>     use the Variables keyword
>

>      >>> In Govnor?

Globals are still available, but the use of them is quite limited (you
can't add results to a java.util.List for example).

>     Details are in the documentation:
>     https://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/drools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/target/docs/drools-expert/html_single/index.html#d0e5762
>
>      >>> This link is not working...

Strange, works for me.