[rules-users] optimization on a lot of simple rules

nesta nesta.fdb at 163.com
Sun Jul 19 09:15:16 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am a newbie in drools. There are a lot of simple rules in a scenario.
For example
rule 1
    when
        Product( id ==1, usage == 1)
        $decision : Decision()
    then
         $decision.setValue(1);
end

rule 2
when Product( id ==2, usage == 1)
 $decision : Decision()
rule 3
when Product( id ==3, usage == 1)
 $decision : Decision()
rule 4
when Product( id ==4, usage == 1)
 $decision : Decision()
rule 5
when Product( id ==5, usage == 1)
 $decision : Decision()

I have a Product fact whose id = 5 and usage = 1, in my first thinking, only
rule 5 is matched, there should be not much more different between 1 rule
and a lot of rules in runtime.

But the result shows that they are different. More rules will cost more
time. If there are 1 thousand rules, some Node and Sink will execute 1
thousand times.

My question is how to optimize this scenario?