[rules-users] Run Drool Application From Command Prompt

Greg Barton greg_barton at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 01:59:19 EDT 2009

It's unclear from your post when you get the NPE: from the command line, from eclipse, or when integrated with OFBiz. (I assume you're referring to http://ofbiz.apache.org/)

It's undoubtedly a classpath issue.  Just peek at the source a bit.  I'm not sure what version you're using, but if you look at the source in the svn repo you'll see that line 92 of JavaDialectConfiguration is this:

getClass().getClassLoader().loadClass( "org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler" );

See the javadoc for Class.getClassLoader() that says "Returns the class loader for the class. Some implementations may use null to represent the bootstrap class loader. This method will return null in such implementations if this class was loaded by the bootstrap class loader."

So, it looks probable that in the environment that's having problems, the JavaDialectConfiguration class is loaded by the bootstrap classloader.  What is the VM implementation you're using?

It might be best if Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader() was used instead of getClass().getClassLoader() in JavaDialectConfiguration and elsewhere.  Devs, have an opinion on that?