[rules-users] Simple rule worked in 4.0.7 and failed in 5.0.1

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Thu Jun 25 08:19:13 EDT 2009

   I added a comment to the JIRA, but replicate it here for completeness:

=====
Due to some limitations on the way that Drools 4 handles regexps, we had to
change the default escaping syntax for regexps, from single escape to double
escape. In Drools 5, regexps work exactly like in Java. So, instead of
doing:

".*\s(ADDR)\s.*|(ADDR)\s.*|.*\s(ADDR)"

You need to write:

".*\\s(ADDR)\\s.*|(ADDR)\\s.*|.*\\s(ADDR)"

If you would like to continue using regexps in the same way you did for
Drools 4, i.e., with single escape (not recommended), there is a
configuration that makes Drools 5 parse regexps as it did in Drools 4.
Using the type safe API, you can do:

        KnowledgeBuilderConfiguration config =
KnowledgeBuilderFactory.newKnowledgeBuilderConfiguration();
        config.setOption( ProcessStringEscapesOption.NO);
        KnowledgeBuider kbuilder =
KnowledgeBuilderFactory.newKnowledgeBuilder( conf );

If you prefer to use the property or configuration file, then it is:

drools.parser.processStringEscapes = false
=======

    []s
    Edson

2009/6/25 Corneil du Plessis <corneil at tsctech.com>

>  I ran into some problems where a fairly simple rule fails in 5.0.1 and
> worked in 4.0.7.
>
> I have created an issue on JIRA
> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBRULES-2136 and was wondering if
> someone else has come across that same type of problem.
>
> The rule is:
>
> package org.drools.rules.test
> import org.drools.rules.test.SimpleStringType
> rule "SimpleKeywordTest"
> 	dialect "java"
> when
> 	$_theFact : SimpleStringType( stringValue matches ".*\s(ADDR)\s.*|(ADDR)\s.*|.*\s(ADDR)" )
> then
> 	$_theFact.setValid(false);
> end
>

> Whenever the *stringValue* contains something like 'MY ADDR' the rule
> should fire but it doesn't in 5.0.1
>
> Corneil

 Edson Tirelli
 JBoss Drools Core Development