[rules-users] firing explicit rules or agend-groups

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Sat Jun 27 10:47:33 EDT 2009

   Hi Chris,

   Regarding flow and fusion and expert, that is the point of Drools 5. To
use all of them seamlessly together. Rules, events and processes are all
first class citizens in the platform. Now, if we achieved this goal or if we
are in the right track, that is for you and the community to say. :)

   Regarding functions, I think it is a gray line that we are talking about,
and maybe even just because we are talking at such high levels. IMO when you
talk about function *library*, it makes me think of a set of common, domain
specific and/or general purpose functions that are available for all your
rules to use as necessary. In this case, I recommend the static class
methods because it is something that will be isolated, documented, and well
tested both for functional reqs and against regressions, and will be
developed by developers. A developer/BA should not simply go ahead and
change one of this functions without an impact analysis. For one time
functions or functions used by a few related rules, usually small in terms
of lines of code, then I recommend them to be implemented inline in the DRL
file, close to the rule that uses them. If the function and/or rules need to
change, the developer/BA has all he needs right in front of him.

   But, again, talking in general is different than looking at the actual
problem/use case. When making things concrete, only the team involved in the
project can choose the appropriate path.

   Regarding bugs, every new release includes all fixes made previously in
binary format. You can also download binary snapshots from Hudson. Regarding
Maven, it seems they broke backward compatibility with maven plugins that we
need when they released 2.1. So, to build drools you need maven 2.0.9 or
2.0.10. I did not heard about any problems with these 2 releases of maven.

   Edson