[rules-users] Identify Rule on Attributes

Nikhil_dev k.nikhil at verchaska.com
Fri Mar 13 07:18:45 EDT 2009

Thank you Michael,
Following is the use-case/example/Situation that i trying to make it work
Consider Example ::::
Rule 1: requires attributes/Values :::::::: adultFare == 3000 and ChildFare
== 2500
Rule 2: requires attributes/Values :::::::: ChildFare == 2000 or InfantFare
== 1500
Rule 3: requires attributes/Values :::::::: AdultFare + InfantFare < 4000

Above said rules is complied and its Rulebase is stored in the memory......

Now i have adultFare and InfantFare Attribute in hand....... so now is there
any way with the help of drools we can identify which rule to execute with
out executing all of them one after the another.......as per the example
Rule3 should be executed....and will give right output.......

I hope u got what i am trying to do..... let me know weather it is
possible........  through RETE algo used inside drools or should i do it on
my own of identifying the rules.......

Anstis, Michael (M.) wrote:

> I concur everybody's statements fully.
>
> The purpose of a rules engine is to remove the need for the application
> developer to code algorithms to determine which of a set of rules should
> execute given a set of facts\properties\objects. Drools implements the
> RETE algorithm. Writing your own code to determine which rule should be
> executed would be like writing your own video driver so you can display
> an image.
>
> Of course "we" all assume you plan on using Drools as a rule engine; a
> black box to drive the execution of consequences based upon rule
> definitions and domain objects. As you state in your last post below;
> your "point is that [you] want to use rule engine in [your] application
> at it's fullest". Without a clearer description of your use-case it
> might be impossible for anybody to give an answer that helps with your
> particular issue.
>
> These forums are an excellent place to find solutions. Everybody has
> always been extremely helpful to me.
>
> I hope you are not discouraged by the responses received to date and am
> sure everybody is genuinely trying to help.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Mike

-----
Regards,