[rules-users] Debugging Drools when/then using breakpoints

lightbulb432 veerukrishnan at hotmail.com
Mon May 4 04:16:08 EDT 2009

(I can't use Eclipse's debug as "Drools Application" feature because the
Drools application I'm using is embedded within a larger deployed web
application, so I must use breakpoints.)

Where can I set breakpoints in my IDE to know exactly when the when/then
sides of a rule are evaluated? I know that the "then" side of a rule is
executed when DefaultAgenda.fireActivation(Activation) method is run, so
every time that breakpoint is hit I know that a rule's "then" side is about
to be fired.

However, I don't know where to set the breakpoint for the "when" side of the
rule - where is this?

Assuming I have 10 rules in total but in a particular scenario only 1 of
those is actually fired successfully after executing the "when" tests, what
I'd like to see is 10 "when" breakpoints being hit and only 1 "then"
breakpoint being hit.