[rules-users] Sharing packages between rule bases?

Ingomar Otter iotter at mac.com
Mon May 4 13:45:32 EDT 2009

Hello @all.

We are generating quite some rules and we have handcrafted rules.
We'd like to combine both into RuleBases that we use for a limited time.
So far we have parsed the "static packages" and merged these into
RuleBases we create. We hang on to the "static" packages to avoid
unnnecessary parsing of these.

This results in a n:m relation between packages and rulebases.
For example:
* Rulebase1 contains Package:Pstatic and Package:P1
* Rulebase2 contains Package:Pstatic and Package:P2
etc..
Is this supported/permitted? Any idea how I can achieve "shared
packages between rule bases"?

* What we see is a memory leak,. It seems that the generated Rulebases
(and their classes ) are never unloaded. We are still investigating.

* I included a specific code to remove the packages from the
rulebases, once we no longer need them.  I use  RuleBase.removePackage
for this.
To my surprise the "removePackage" method not only removes the package
from the RuleBase, it also purges the package. :-(

So I do a
myRuleBase.addPackage(myLovelyPackge) followed by
myRuleBase.removePackage(myLovelyPackage.getName()). This leaves
myLovelyPackge _empty_. Not what I expected.

-- Ingomar

(ps all this is on 407)