[rules-users] rule with low Salience is fired too early

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Tue May 19 04:05:05 EDT 2009

Actually, your "threshold" rule shouldn't fire at all in a stateless
session, where
everything is evaluated just once, resulting in a fixed set of activations
(and,
at most from these, firings). What you reported, sounds very fishy,
indicating
a bug - I'm not saying where ;-)  Either check with the latest version of
Drools,
or post the minimal code showing the effect.

In a stateFUL session, activations are added to the agenda as soon as they
become manifest, and are removed as soon as a rule's condition fails. So,
a single change could create any number of activations. Ranking within
the agenda is determined by several things, salience being the major
criterion.

The current online version of the documentation deals with these topics in
several
places:
http://downloads.jboss.com/drools/docs/5.0.1.26597.FINAL/drools-expert/html/ch02.html#d0e240,
http://downloads.jboss.com/drools/docs/5.0.1.26597.FINAL/drools-expert/html/ch03.html#d0e1797(see