[rules-users] How to import DRL into Business Rule Assets section?

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Wed May 20 09:48:25 EDT 2009

   People,

   Just a heads up, .brl rules are intended to be simpler rules
authored/maintained by business people. While it is a good to have the
ability to edit them with the guided editor, they are limited in what they
can express.

   Just as one example, as of now, they don't support "from" syntax, meaning
you can not use collect/accumulate/entry-point. If you don't use that and a
couple other things, its not problem then.

   I wanted to give this heads up so that people is aware before hand to
avoid waste time in some cases.

   BTW, it is not that we can't change that in the future. It is just how
things are now.

   []s
   Edson

2009/5/20 Steve Ronderos <steve.ronderos at ni.com>

> rules-users-bounces at lists.jboss.org wrote on 05/19/2009 06:40:34 PM:
>
> > [image removed]
> >
> > Re: [rules-users] How to import DRL into Business Rule Assets  section?
> >
> > Late Norther
> >
> > to:
> >
> > Rules Users List
> >
> > 05/19/2009 06:53 PM
> >
> > Sent by:
> >
> > rules-users-bounces at lists.jboss.org
> >
> > Please respond to Rules Users List
> >
> > 2009/5/19 Michal Bali <michalbali at gmail.com>:
> > > Hi Jon,
> > >
> > > You could use webdav to connect to Guvnor -
> > >
> http://blog.athico.com/2008/05/accessing-guvnor-as-filesystem-webdav.html.
> > > You should then see how Guvnor stores the 'business rules', I think it
> is an
> > > XML file. Then instead of generating DRL file you could generate this
> XML.
> > > You can then upload these files via webdav into Guvnor.
> > > Hope this helps.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Michal
> > >

> > Michal,
> >
> > I can't thank you enough.  This worked well.
> >
> > For others, here is a review of what I did.
> >
> > 1. Created a 'dummy' rule using the guided editor in my target package.
> > 2. Used the blog URL above to mount the package webdav share
> > 3. Downloaded the 'dummy' rule from the webdav share to act as a template
> > 4. Updated my Perl import/export script to create .brl files instead
> > of .drl files, using the template.
> > 5. Copied the new .brl files created by my utility script to the webdav
> share.
> >
> > The only snafu I found was that I am unable to populate a category as
> > part of the import, but I can have my analysts do that by hand if
> > needed.  That apparently is not stored in the .brl, but rather
> > somewhere else.   I did confirm that I can update the category in the
> > UI after the load.
> >
> > Again,  Thank you.
> >
> > Jon
>
> Jon,
>
> We are currently trying to convert our drl files to brls as well.  Would it
> be possible to share your perl conversion utility?  We were just about to
> start creating a similar script, but it would help us out greatly if we
> could have a look at yours.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

 Edson Tirelli