[rules-users] Integrate drools into existing app

Ian Spence ianspence at gmail.com
Thu May 21 04:17:59 EDT 2009

I have been asked to integrate Drools into an existing webapp. We are
thinking about using Spring (already implemented).

I have read in the Drools 4 documentation, the RuleAgent should be kept in a
Singleton or JNDI or similar.
i.e. from 4.0 docs
"IMPORTANT: You should only have one instance of the RuleAgent per rulebase
you are using. This means you should (for example) keep the agent in a
singleton, JNDI (or similar). In practice most people are using frameworks
like Seam or Spring - in which case they will take care of managing this for
you (in fact in Seam - it is already integrated - you can inject rulebases
into Seam components). Note that the RuleBase can be used multiple times by
multiple threads if needed (no need to have multiple copies of it)."

I have upgraded to Drools 5.0.  Is the Singleton still required in 5.0 ?  I
cannot see any mention of it there.

Has any had any experience with Drools 5.0 and Spring?  Any advice?

--
Regards,
Ian Spence