[rules-users] fact granularity, performance, and other questions

Ingomar Otter iotter at mac.com
Wed May 27 21:14:03 EDT 2009

David,
 >- Does the order of the conditions in a rule affect performance, the
 >execution order, or the structure of the Rete network?
Yes, quite a lot has been written about this. The drools documentation
has a few paragraphs with good heuristics...
  A popular read seems to be this paper, which provides good insight
into RETE performance aspects:

"Production Matching for Large Learning Systems (Rete/UL)"
by Robert B. Doorenbos
PhD thesis, Carnegie Mellon University, January 31, 1995

 >- Does the order the facts are inserted into a stateless session (as
 > a list via the CommandFactory.newInsertElements) affect performance
at
 >all?
All I can say that this is true (it has impact) for statefull
sessions. The deal here is how often the agenda may get changed while
inserting objects.
I have no experience with stateless sessions and I hope others do;-)

 >- Should each field in a message be a fact? (more info on my message
 >below)  What fact granularity have you settled on in your usage and
 >why?
I would suggest to start with a model which is most natural to your
rules (with the lowest WTF factor) and take it from there.

I assume that you need to correlate information from all segments of a
message?
I would stay well clear from your option 3 (eval()) - just because I
always do ;-)
Eval() simply defies RETE optimizations so it can be very sensitive to
both number of facts and number of rules (using eval).

If you know the field IDs (which I assume you would, using an EDI
formant) -  I would see whether you can avoid the field facts and turn
them into slots (attributes) instead.
But not to the extend you outline in #2, that seems to be too awkward.
If you have buy another server ;-)

 >what did you determine the best approach to be?
I am pretty sure that there is no generic "best approach".
I would proceed trying to understand the nature of the rules (are they
regular, ie following the same scheme, can they be generated?) and the
data and create
regression performance test-suite ASAP to monitor performance during
development.

In our application we for example have analyzed bottlenecks and found
that (no surprise) accessing properties like facta.factb.value is
slower compared to facta.facbtValue  - that's in 4.07 - due to the
different mechanism the value is obtained. From there we have added
about three of these "shortcut accessors". However we have first
focused on optimizing the rules themself to avoid excessive matching
in the first place so there was no need for us to flatten our entire
model.

my 0.02EUR
  -- Ingomar