[rules-users] unable to resolve method using strict-mode

Vladimir Perlov vladperl at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 2 13:14:01 EDT 2009

Hi Wolfgang,
Thank you very much for quick response!

I tried your suggestion and still getting the following error:

Unable to build expression for 'consequence': Failed to compile: 1
compilation error(s): - (1,29) unable to resolve method using
strict-mode: java.lang.Object.getSomeMethod() '
System.out.println($map.get("x").getSomeMethod());
' : [Rule name='TEST']
At least now I have only 1 compilation error comparing to the previous variant.

modified rule:

rule "TEST"
    dialect "mvel"
    when
            $map : Map()
    then
            System.out.println($map.get("x").getSomeMethod());
end

I believe that problem is related to strict-mode that somehow enforced on Linux but not on Windows.
I tried to remove the strict mode using the the following approach but it seems don't have any effect.
We have web application with many drools rules and it's working on Windows but when we deployed the same application to   Linux we are getting failed compile errors ;)

KnowledgeBuilderConfiguration config = KnowledgeBuilderFactory.newKnowledgeBuilderConfiguration();
config.setProperty("drools.dialect.mvel.strict", "false");
kbuilder = KnowledgeBuilderFactory.newKnowledgeBuilder(config);

Please advise me.

By the way I'm using drools 5.0.1

Here is the rule that failed to compile on Linux:

rule "TEST"
    dialect "mvel"
    Send
    when
            map : Map()

$map : Map()

or omit '$' in the consequence.

            System.out.println($map.get("x").getSomeMethod());