[rules-users] Drools Flow Persistence throws stack overflow error

Kris Verlaenen kris.verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Thu Oct 8 21:42:23 EDT 2009

You can register a custom strategy like this:

Environment env = KnowledgeBaseFactory.newEnvironment();
env.set(EnvironmentName.ENTITY_MANAGER_FACTORY, emf);
env.set(EnvironmentName.TRANSACTION_MANAGER,
TransactionManagerServices.getTransactionManager());
ObjectMarshallingStrategy[] objectMarshalingStrategies = new
ObjectMarshallingStrategy[] {
  new ProcessInstanceMarshallingStrategy(env)
};
env.set(EnvironmentName.OBJECT_MARSHALLING_STRATEGIES,
objectMarshalingStrategies);
StatefulKnowledgeSession ksession =
JPAKnowledgeService.newStatefulKnowledgeSession(kbase, null, env);

... and then define the strategy as ...

private static class ProcessInstanceMarshallingStrategy implements
ObjectMarshallingStrategy {
  private Environment environment;
  public ProcessInstanceMarshallingStrategy(Environment environment) {
    this.environment = environment;
  }
  public boolean accept(Object o) {
    return o instanceof ProcessInstance;
  }
  public Object read(ObjectInputStream ois) throws IOException,
ClassNotFoundException {
    long id = ois.readLong();
    return ((ProcessRuntime)
environment.get("ksession")).getProcessInstance(id);
  }
  public void write(ObjectOutputStream oos, Object o) throws IOException {
    oos.writeLong(((ProcessInstance) o).getId());
  }
}

Note that this strategy only works for active process instances (so you
need to make sure they are removed from the working memory before ending
the process instance, for example by using an on-entry/exit action.  I
think we will probably build in this strategy by default in the future.

Could you clarify why you need the processInstance in the working
memory?  As there might be an easier alternative?

Kris