[rules-users] [droolsflow] JPAVariablePersister Crashing SQL Server RPC?

Mauricio Salatino salaboy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 07:41:46 EDT 2009

HI Bill,
Can you paste here the full stack trace?
I don't test it in SQL Server, but if the problem persist I'm interested in
solve it.
Some thoughts:
1) does JPA take the Hibernate Mappings as JPA entities without adding them
at the persistence.xml file?, I think yes, but I'm not sure
2) if not, probably we need to create a new persister for hibernate mapped
entities.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Bill Tarr <javatestcase at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Has anyone successfully used JPAVariablePersister on Sql Server?  The quick
> hits are we are running MSSQL 2008, and after introducing
> JPAVariablePersister (which is described very well in
> http://blog.athico.com/2009/09/drools-flow-variable-persistence.html)
> every time I run my test case, the DB becomes non-responsive, returning from
> any JDBC pings:
>
>     java.sql.SQLException: I/O Error: DB server closed connection.
>
> You can't even connect through MSSQL Management Studios, looks like RPC
> service has gone down.  Haven't been able to do much troubleshooting yet
> (slow going when you need to get a DBA to reboot your sever every time.)
>
> I've already tested out the JPAKnowledgeService with some success.  Setting
> up my session with the following code,  I can see the SessionInfo,
> ProcessInstanceInfo, ProcessInstanceInfo_eventTypes tables storing data,
> looks pretty solid, and I can grab the processes again.
>
>     EntityManagerFactory emf =
> Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("org.drools.persistence.jpa");
>     env = KnowledgeBaseFactory.newEnvironment();
>     env.set(EnvironmentName.ENTITY_MANAGER_FACTORY, emf);
>     session =
> JPAKnowledgeService.newStatefulKnowledgeSession(knowledgeBase, null, env);
>
>     Map<String, Object> parameterMap = new HashMap<String, Object>();
>     parameterMap.put("claim", claim);
>     processInstance = session.startProcess(CLAIMS_DEMO, parameterMap);
>
> I want to store my variable separately though, as we already have them as
> Hibernate DTOs.  So I added the following code, as well as adding
> JPAVariablePersister to my persistence.xml.
>
>     VariablePersistenceStrategyFactory.getVariablePersistenceStrategy()
>             .setPersister("javax.persistence.Entity",
>
> "org.drools.persistence.processinstance.persisters.JPAVariablePersister");
>
> The code appears to run through.  This time, I can see data in  the
> SessionInfo, ProcessInstanceInfo, ProcessInstanceInfo_eventTypes tables, as
> well as additional data in VariableInstanceInfo, and my two entities (Claim,
> which has a List of Role.)  The data looks pretty good, and my process logs
> hit the expected nodes.
>
> Anyway, I'll post more as I learn it.  Let me know if anyone else is
> running into this.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bill

- http://salaboy.wordpress.com