[rules-users] Drools as Lexer / Parser (sequential data processing)

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 14:34:22 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 1:55 AM, Clandes Tino
<clandestino_bgd at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi Wolfgang,
> I am very interested in using Drools in common NLP tasks and would really
> like to have something to startup with, while I am still drools novice.
>
> Do you mind if I ask, is the code you posted part of some library/project?
>
> This code was the result of one of a series of experiments with the intent
of showing how
rules might be used for modelling prototypes (for a specific application
domain). I should emphasize that implementing a lexer by rules isn't the
most efficient technique, and blatantly disregarding available tools such as
lex or antlr3.

It does, however, illustrate the option of avoiding a potentially large set
of (parsing) rules by a set of facts that are "interpreted" by a single
generic rule expressing the basic behaviour of a FSM.

-W