[rules-users] Resuming the Flow: SESSION_ID, PROCESS_INSTANCE_ID, WORKITEM_ID

tolitius webakaunt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 16:44:45 EDT 2010

good to get a full response instead of "copy this / yes, you can do that /
etc..".

actually, I am not sure what I am agreeing with you on :) And it is not
about agreeing, it is about me getting Drools Flow approach, since the
documentation is very high level.

Where I would really throw forces to make it low-level, that would be
documentation, but not a product APIs.

That is a definite differences in opinions. Think about other good
frameworks, like Spring and Hibernate for example.

If I had to do 6 low level calls to get a reference to a bean in Spring, I
would never even consider using it, would go for CDI
http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=299 right away. (but no, it is as simple
HIGH LEVEL as Autowire or implement a certain (Aware) interface)

If I had to create 15 queries and write my high level APIs on top of the
Hibernate's low level APIs to make them flexible enough, I would rather use
iBatis, or just GORM (but no I can use a nice HIGH LEVEL Criteria API)

The point is there should be a healthy balance between the framework and the
client. Now, I am not saying Drools Flow does not have that balance, what I
am saying help me learn Drools Flow in a way that I can use its full power.
And I am SURE that there is a better way in Drools Flow to find all waiting
workitems. Maybe not by a single HIGH LEVEL API call ( not YET :) ), but
surely not through some low level NodeInstance hooks.

And as far as Java World, Asgard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asgard_%28Stargate%29 World, and many other
worlds, clean and simple is always stronger, than weakly-typed, convoluted
and low-level.

/Anatoly