[rules-users] Facts or rules ?

Greg Barton greg_barton at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 12:59:28 EDT 2010

It matters on the nature of the processing.  Rules are useful when the algorithm involves iterative change, i.e. a rule fires, changing the data, which cause another rule to fire, changing the data....etc until a resting state has been reached.

They're also useful if you want to handle odd cases, or global constraints, especially if these can directly affect the data driven processing.  This is what I was talking about when I said "you can do both" below.  Let's say your "data driven approach" involves generating the pricing rules from the data. (Instead of having generalized rules that act on inserted objects.)  Using this approach you (or the business folk) could then define other rules that execute alongside the generated ones for both conditions that don't follow the pattern of the generated rules, and global conditions that affect all price calculation.  This is like mixing decision tables and hand written rules together, a rather common practice.

That make sense?

Including a BRMS is warranted when 1) there's going to be change, and 2) funky processing is anticipated.  In my experience both cases are frequent.  The marketing folks always come by and say, "can your system handle this promotion we want to do?" :)