[rules-users] How to do Exception Handling???

Kris Verlaenen kris.verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Mon Apr 12 10:21:14 EDT 2010

The main problems I see when translating a java exception to a process
exception automatically:
 - the exceptions are too low level, no business user understands
NumberFormatException or ClassCastException, and the error could come from
deep inside the invoked service
 - by making it automatic, the user is not forced to think about it and thus
might forget about it, so you might end up with aborted process instances
(default behaviour if no exception handler can be found) and the user won't
even notice
 - the handler is actually the link between the process engine and the
environment, I see it as a contract between the two, and what data is
exchanged (input/output) is defined

It is trivial to simply create an AbstractWorkItemHandler that would
transform a Java exception to a process fault with the same name.  If you
want this as the default behaviour, I suggest you do that.  But if we build
this into the framework, it will be more difficult to change it if you don't
want this behaviour (and we try to keep the maximum flexibility possible).

Kris