[rules-users] Resuming Flow: NPE when completing a work item

Mauricio Salatino salaboy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 10:59:08 EDT 2010

Can you provide us a simple project with a test case?
It's easy to me to debug and find the problem. And looks like you already
point out where is the problem (the work items mapping parameters).
With a simple maven project that show that situation we can create a jira
issue if we think that it's a bug. That it's possible because the
resolveClass methods was introduced after the rest of the class.
I can work on solve that problem tonight after finishing my current
assignments, but with out a simple test case that shows that it fails. It's
impossible for me to start with it.

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 9:59 AM, nanic23 <nanic23 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mauricio,
>
> Thank you very much for you comments. I am mapping a single variable type
> Long.
>
> Could you please look at posts above as I think they might have a good
> point. There it seems that the getWorkItem method is creating a
> MarshallerReaderContext with a "null" value for the ruleBase argument:
>
> public WorkItem getWorkItem() {
>        if ( workItem == null ) {
>            try {
>                ByteArrayInputStream bais = new ByteArrayInputStream(
> workItemByteArray );
>                MarshallerReaderContext context = new
> MarshallerReaderContext( bais,
>

> null,  // THIS IS a RULEBASE <<<<<<<<<<<<<
>

> null,
>
> null );
>                workItem = InputMarshaller.readWorkItem( context );
>

> This in turn ends up creating a NPE when the "null" ruleBase is used.
>
>  protected Class< ? > resolveClass(ObjectStreamClass desc) throws
> IOException, ClassNotFoundException {
>        String name = desc.getName();
>        try {
>
>            return Class.forName(name, false,
> this.ruleBase.getRootClassLoader()); // HERE IS WHERE THE NULL POINTER
> EXCEPTION OCCURS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< since the RuleBase is NULL
>
>        } catch (ClassNotFoundException ex) {
>            return super.resolveClass( desc );
>        }
>    }
>
> This is explained in more detail in the posts above. Do you think this
> could
> be the issue? Am I following (and understanding) Drools src code correctly?
>
> I appreciate your help!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick.

- http://salaboy.wordpress.com