[rules-users] Mvel and import issues

Barry Kaplan groups1 at memelet.com
Wed Apr 14 12:57:27 EDT 2010

There is a mvel bug that I run into from time to time relating to imports. I
present it here to hopefully save others from spending too much time
discovering the work around.

My drl file starts like:

  import systeminsights.model.device.*
  import systeminsights.event.mtconnect.*
  import systeminsights.plugin.downtime.*

  declare DowntimeInterval
    @role(event)
    @timestamp(interval.start.getMillis)
    @duration(interval.toDurationMillis)
  end

Every once in a while mvel will fail with ClassNotFoundException for the
class DowntimeInterval. If I change the imports to:

  import systeminsights.model.device.*
  import systeminsights.event.mtconnect.*
  import systeminsights.plugin.downtime.*
  import systeminsights.plugin.downtime.DonwtimeInterval

Then mvel finds the class. Later on, after making various edits I will
remove the redundant import and won't get the exception.

I can't reproduce this in any way -- its completely intermittent for causes

(begin:rant)
80% of the time I spend debugging drools issues ends up as an mvel quirk
(end:rant)