[rules-users] Drools Fusion Performance and RETE algorithm

Mauricio Salatino salaboy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 12:02:47 EDT 2010

Hi Orlando,
Yes Fusion runs on top of the rule engine and uses the RETE algorithm.
You can see Fusion as an extension of Drools Expert to support temporal
evaluations.

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Orlando Ricardo Da Silva Costa <
orlandoricardo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
> Looking at "Drools JBoss Rules 5 0 Developer's guide" it addresses the
> Fusion component at page 134, stating:
> "This problem cannot be solved by the standard Drools rule engine. The
> volume of events is huge and it happens asynchronously. If we simply
> inserted them into the  knowledge session, we would soon run out of
> memory. While the Rete algorithm behind Drools doesn't have any
> theoretical limitation on number of objects in the session, we could
> use the processing power more wisely. Drools Fusion is the right
> candidate for this kind of task."
>
> Ok, but my question is if this is enough, because I would guess that
> Fusion could be used to derived a more complex/rich event from the
> stream of events, and afterwards that complex event would be inserted
> in Working Memory (but not the flow of events that have generated the
> more complex event), thus reducing RETE algorithm processing. But
> since in our case every event will most certainly fire a rule, I am
> not sure about Fusion's usage.
>
> This is because our project is more a kind of
> Event-Trigger-Rule/Action system, meaning we have a high volume of
> incoming events (say more than 5000/minute), but each of the events
> will have to trigger a rule (and usually a rule is more or less a
> complex action, invoking DB operations and data structures
> manipulation).
>
> So, by using Fusion entry-points, would that be different than just
> sending the events as "normal" facts to Working Memory, or by dividing
> this in entry-points( or so called streams)  we would have benefits in
> the RETE processing (I am assuming Fusion also uses RETE someway)?
>
> Best regards
> Orlando.
>
> PS-Does anyone know where can I find more info on the coupling of
> Drools Expert and Fusion?

 - CTO @ http://www.plugtree.com
 - Co-Founder @ http://www.jbug.com.ar

 - Salatino "Salaboy" Mauricio -