[rules-users] Drools Guvnor: Rule fires multiple times when using eval and OR

Patricia Bogoevici patriciabogoevici at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 12:33:52 EDT 2010

Thx for your answer, Wolfgang.

While your advice makes sense, it does not help me. I cannot avoid using OR. I use Drools for validation and I have some cases when I need to use OR between conditions for evaluating an invalid state. Also, the solution you proposed works fine when the rule works with one object type only. If there are more than 1, it does not work. A workaround I see, would be to separate each of the condition from OR, into separate rule. But that adds the overhead of managing multiple rules.

In Expert, 5.1 manual, there is an example of how to chain expressions in DSL, using OR. They mention mapping OR being sensible, but I wish there were more details about that sensible thing.
--quote from the manual:
"
Example 4.77. Chaining DSL Expressions

 There is a person called Bob who is happy
  Or
There is a person called Mike who is sad
Of course this assumes that "Or" is mapped to the "or" conditional element (which is a sensible thing to do).
"
--end quote

So, my question was:
Is any solution to chain conditions using eval, without having the rule firing multiple times? From your answer, it seems not, and it seems that will not be possible due to some Rete-level refactoring or optimization (hope I got your message correct, I do not know how RETE works). Is that true?

I believe, I can live with this limitation (rule fires multiple times). I only hope that there is no other implication, that I am not aware of right now.

Thanks,
Patricia