[rules-users] Process with subprocesses don't continue after finish work items in the subprocesses

Dirk drools at dirkp.de
Mon Feb 22 09:05:18 EST 2010

Hey Drools-Users,

I've got a big and urgent problem with my drools process. I have a complex
process with many decisions and subprocesses. These subprocesses could even
contains more subprocesses so that i have a four-level flow.

I testet each subprocess isolated in a mock environment and now i get my
problem when they are combined in a big "super-process". I create the
process with the JPAKnowledgeService (and VariablePersistenceStrategy) and
everything works as expected. The process execute some actions, a
validation-subprocess and another subprocess with a human task (with a
custom handler). The process stops and persist all the variables (except
Integers; Must be a bug?). Perfect. Now I load the session with the
JPAKnowledgeService and complete the workitem with the
ksession.getWorkItemManager().completeWorkItem method. The subprocess now
execute to the end and then the engine stopps without an error. But there
are more steps in the superprocess todo. All subprocesse are "independent =
true" with "wait for completion = true" and don't have timers.

Has anybody an idea? Is this a known problem? I'm using the last
successfully build form the 21.02.2010. Do you need the process? (Then i
have to remove some internal information and could post it...)

Many thanks in advance
Dirk