[rules-users] Problem running drools-verifier ant task

deaddowney spamcontrol at mac.com
Fri Feb 26 14:22:32 EST 2010

I'm trying to run the verifier against a simple rule file I've created.  My
rules live in a directory called "rules".   The rules files are directly
under rules/.
rules/rule1.drl
rules/rule2.drl

My ant target looks like:

   <target name="verifier" depends="compile">
        <verifier
                srcdir="rules"
                tofile="${outputdir}"
                classpathref="classpath-compile-deploy">
            <include name="*.drl" />
        </verifier>
    </target>

I'm getting this exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.io.Reader.<init>(Reader.java:61)
	at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:55)
	at
org.drools.contrib.DroolsVerifierAntTask.compileAndAnalyzeFile(DroolsVerifierAntTask.java:125)
	at
org.drools.contrib.DroolsVerifierAntTask.execute(DroolsVerifierAntTask.java:105)

The error occurs in compileAndAnalyzeFiles:
http://grepcode.com/file/repository.jboss.com/maven2/org.drools/drools-ant/5.1.0.M1/org/drools/contrib/DroolsVerifierAntTask.java#DroolsVerifierAntTask.compileAndAnalyzeFile%28org.drools.verifier.Verifier,java.lang.String%29

The line it's bombing out seems to be trying to find my rules file relative
to the Verifier class:

org.drools.lang.descr.PackageDescr descr = (new DrlParser()).parse(new
InputStreamReader(org/drools/verifier/Verifier.getResourceAsStream(filename)));

Why does it do that?  Why not just read the file I specify?  Do I have to
muck with the classpath to get the verifier to work?

Thanks,
Adam