[rules-users] Quantification of possible planner/solver solutions

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 08:54:29 EST 2010

Pete Carapetyan schreef:
> Geoffrey:
>
> It is a source of fascination to me that you were able to come up with
> a number for how many possible planner combinations there were for
> each planner/solver example.
> For example, where this kind of calculation comes from or how to derive my own ?
>
> Example from Drools Solver Manual:
>
> Set     # students      # exams/topics  # periods       # rooms #
> possible solutions
> exam_comp_set1  7883    607     54      7
> 1.11000574474221096210367623e+1052

In my devoxx presentation movie I explain how I get to that number
in detail on slide 32, but it's best to start looking for slide 28:
   http://beta.parleys.com/#id=1714&st=5&sl=28

The 5.0 manual's calculation aren't correct, but that's fixed in the 5.1
manual:
https://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/drools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/target/docs/drools-planner/html_single/index.html#d0e772

HTH

With kind regards,