[rules-users] Understanding "no viable alternative ..." errors

Andreas Volz andreas.volz at valtech.de
Thu Jan 14 07:00:05 EST 2010

Just have a look at Edson's answer to your first mail:

"Also, remember that constraints can only exist inside a pattern, so your
"properties" constraint must go inside the proper pattern that I guess is
"Content"

           content: Content(id=="adslot", properties["type"]=="ad" )"

Cheers,
Andreas

Am 13.01.2010 um 18:27 schrieb Pritam:

> Ah, that was an oversight. After fixing that, I now get ...
>
> mismatched input '"type"' expecting ']' in rule "filter content if
> advertisement" in pattern properties
>
> Is something wrong with this mvel syntax?
> properties["type"]=="ad" from content
>

> Pritam wrote:
>>
>> While executing the following rule,
>>
>> dialect "mvel"
>> import xxx.*
>> import java.util.*
>> global HashMap filter
>>
>> rule "filter content if advertisement"
>> 	when
>> 	    point: Point(page == "home", region ="center-content")
>> 	    content: Content(id=="adslot")
>> 	    properties["type"]=="ad" from content
>> 	then
>> 	    filter.put(content.id, true);
>> end
>>
>> I get the following error:
>> [ERR 101] Line 16:46 no viable alternative at input 'EQUALS' in rule
>> "filter content if advertisement" in pattern Point[18,16]: [ERR 102]
>> Line
>> 18:16 mismatched input '"type"' expecting ']' in rule "filter content
>> if
>> advertisement" in pattern properties
>>
>> The documentation explains that this is the most common error but I
>> still
>> struggle to understand the correct grammar for writing rules. Can
>> anyone
>> point me to a good resource (I even read the book "Drools 5" by Packt)
>> for
>> writing the following rule in a drl format?
>>
>> " If a Point has a page, "home" and region, "center-content" and the
>> Content id is "adslot" with a property, type as "ad" then filter the
>> Content (using a global map and passing a boolean flag)
>>
>> Thanks

Andreas Volz
Consultant
mailto:andreas.volz at valtech.de