[rules-users] guvnor - role based auth enabled - cannot use backup URL anymore

Jervisliu jliu at redhat.com
Sun Jan 17 22:53:03 EST 2010

The backup service is protected by role-based-authorization in Drools 5
Guvnor (it was unprotected in Drools 4). Guvnor is using session cookies
to track user authentication. In theory we could use wget to login
first, once we get the session cookies we can use this session to access
the backup service. I.e., sth like below:

1. wget --save-cookies cookies.txt --keep-session-cookies
--post-data="user=foo&password=bar"
http://localhost:8080/drools-guvnor/org.drools.guvnor.Guvnor/Guvnor.html

2. wget --keep-session-cookies --load-cookies cookies.txt -O
repository_export.zip
http://localhost:8080/drools-guvnor/org.drools.guvnor.Guvnor/backup

However this approach does not work in reality. Guvnor is based on  GWT.
The Guvnor login screen takes user name and password then calls the
server side login method using GWT RPC. There is no such entry point in
Guvnor that takes a HTTP POST request to login thus there is no way to
get a session cookie.

An alternative is to start a separate authentication in
RepositoryBackupServlet. I am going to provide a fix on trunk using this
approach. See https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/GUVNOR-496 for details.

Cheers,
Jervis Liu