[rules-users] Are knowledgebases configurable?

HonorGod jagadeesh.motamarri at barclayscapital.com
Mon Jan 25 11:31:20 EST 2010

I wanted to have my application provide little flexibility in terms of how
many decision tables to be used and when / what rules should be applied. For
this purpose I defined a task flow in my application that does above steps i
mentioned in sequence and where steps 3 and 4 could be repeated.

Here is a smaple xml -

<!-- Load Knowledge Base -->
<task taskName="LoadKnowledgeBase"
class="com.barcap.efg.fine.drools.rules.RulesEngineGenerateKBService">
<decisionTable name="knowledgebase1" fileName1="abc.xls" ></decisionTable>
<decisionTable name="knowledgebase2" fileName2="def.xls" ></decisionTable>
</task>

I am telling to load abc.xls into knowledgebase1 and def.xls to
knowledgebase2.

then I fetch the data

apply rules [can be againt any knowledgebase]

<!-- apply rules - ability to specify which knowledge base to use -->
<task taskName="ApplyRules"
class="com.barcap.efg.fine.drools.rules.RulesEngineApplyRulesService">
<knowledgebase name="knowledgebase1"></knowledgebase>
</task>

then i persist data after the rules are applied.

Tomorrow if i wanted change / add new rules i need not do a release...i just
update my configuration file and tell which knowledgebase to use to fire
appropriate rules.

I am checking if drools has anything of that sort. Any pointers will be
helpful.