[rules-users] Drools Guvnor Issues : Default Constructors & Declaring Dialects

soc.frangis soc.frangis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 20:01:31 EDT 2010

I have successfully converted a previous rules engine project to Drools and
was attempting to make the next step by trying out Guvnor for the QA/Testing
module.

1)Even though my program executed and ran perfectly in Eclipse, i noticed
the testing QA section of Guvnor would crash with my fact models because i
did not have a default constructor with no arguments. I made the change, but
is this something that is required for Guvnor QA to work properly (all fact
models / POJOs MUST have a default no-arg constructor) OR did i just
configure Guvnor wrong?

I basically solved my problem, just trying to learn why there was a problem
to begin with.

2) Also, I noticed that even though the default dialect is java (and not
specifying it does not cause any issues in Eclipse), the Guvnor QA section
would not understand the rules unless they explicitly have dialect "java" in
their signature. Of course adding it fixes the problem, but again I am
trying to learn why. I assumed since it is the default dialect that it would
not need to be stated.  Is this again just the way Guvnor works (doesn't
work) or do i need to configure it a certain way?