[rules-users] Drools Objects not released from heap

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Wed Jul 28 14:21:03 EDT 2010

      Dan,

      I am not aware of any memory leak in CR1. If you can provide me with a
test case I will investigate this today. Please open a JIRA, attach your
test case and let me know. If there is a leak, I need to fix it before final
release.

     And it is not a problem to instantiate objects in a rule's consequence.
That is "business as usual".

     Thanks,
         Edson

2010/7/28 dmiller44 <dmiller at versatile.com>

> Hello,
>
> I have a weird issue, and I'm trying to figure out if this is a bug I
> should
> report, or an error in my rule.  I'm running an application with a heap
> space (min: 512mb, max: 1024mb) that gets full and eventually overflows
> relatively quickly (12hrs or less).  We insert about 112 records into a
> Stateful Drools Session (Drools 5.1 CR1 released 7/22/2010) every
> 30seconds,
> using CLOUD session type, single thread, with fireUntilHalt.
>
> Our rules evaluate the object (A) we give it, and in some cases instantiate
> a new object (B) and insert it into the session.  After processing object
> (A), we retract it from the session.
>
> Another rule matches on object (B), and when finished, also retracts the
> object.
>
> When I do a heap snapshot, I've noticed quite a few Drools-related classes,
> along with unreleased instantiations of object(A) & object(B) (more of the
> latter).  Obviously I have to take into consideration that objects are
> being
> inserted at the time of the snapshot, but over a couple hours I'll have
> 1000's of these objects.  I've found the only fix to be to release the
> session.
>
> I should note - calling session.getObjects() shows an empty list (size 0).
>
> Is this a bug? When retract is called, shouldn't it free up the FactHandle
> &
> Object to be collected?  And is instantiating an object in a rule incorrect
> for some reason?
>
> Below is a small chart of classes - the number of instances - and space
> taken. (TemperatureEvent represents object (A), while AssetShallowRemote
> represents object (B))  Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Dan
>

> | Class                                                        | Instances
> |
> Size |   |
>
> |--------------------------------------------------------------+-----------+----------+---|
> | java.lang.String                                             |   1155258
> |
> 41589288 |   |
> | char[]                                                       |   1153540
> |
> 91560120 |   |
> | java.util.concurrent.LinkedBlockingQueue$Node                |    329989
> |
> 10559648 |   |
> | java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry                                |    153489
> |
> 9209340 |   |
> | java.util.HashMap$Entry                                      |    151929
> |
> 6684876 |   |
> | java.sql.Timestamp                                           |    117017
> |
> 4212612 |   |
> | org.drools.reteoo.LeftTuple                                  |     53395
> |
> 8756780 |   |
> | org.drools.common.AgendaItem                                 |     53390
> |
> 5819510 |   |
> [...]

  Edson Tirelli
  JBoss Drools Core Development
  JBoss by Red Hat @ www.jboss.com