[rules-users] Class not found error on registerWorkItemHandler

drdaveg drdaveg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 13:13:23 EDT 2010

Hi! I've created a custom WorkItemHandler that seems to work until it is used
in another Java function with other WorkItemManager's and Handler's (the
default ones, email and log.)  No exception is caught by a try-catch block
with this function call, but single stepping through the code that runs the
process in a debugger reaches:

ksession.getWorkItemManager().registerWorkItemHandler( "PartnerSystem",
sWIH);

with a "class not found" error where

sWIH = new SystemWorkItemHandler(ksession);

drools.rulebase.conf has one line:
drools.workDefinitions = WorkDefinitions.conf myWorkDefinitions.conf

and the work item's icon is visible in Eclipse.  Note that I don't have a
WorkDefinisions.conf but this seems needed to use the default Email and Log
work items.  The myWorkDefinitions.conf has one entry, which does not take
any parameters (for simplicity):

import org.drools.process.core.datatype.impl.type.StringDataType;
[
  // the PartnerSystem work item
  [
    "name" : "PartnerSystem",
    "displayName" : "PartnerSystem",
    "icon" : "icons/system.gif"
  ]
]

What is wrong with the configuration causing the class not found error?  I
use the class in the program a few lines above the call to
registerWorkItemHandler to make sure it is on the classpath.  Thanks!