[rules-users] Drools Flow / Declarative process definition

Kris Verlaenen kris.verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Tue Mar 2 10:16:06 EST 2010

Jaroslav,

Yes, if you execute your processes in advanced mode, we are translating
procedural constructs like sequence into a more declarative rule like the
one you described as an example.  Note we are currently not doing that for
all procedural constructs (like branch / joins) but we plan to extend these
integration points over time.

This does allow you to execute a process without having explicit connections
between all nodes.  We like to describe this as process fragments, where you
have small, not-connected flow fragments and where the rules or the user can
define when each fragment should be executed, etc.  This could then be
event-based, data-based, user-triggered, etc.  Instead of the process
controlling everything, we see this as an inversion where your rules will be
controlling the process fragments.  This is however still work in progress
(meaning a lot is already possible if you dive into it, but we definitely
need to extend the tooling etc. to better harness this power before we
unleash this to our users).  I'm hoping to do a blog entry about this soon,
to show some direction.  If you're interested in this, it's also related to
flexible or ad-hoc processes, adaptible case management, etc.

Drools currently targets the Java space primarly.  But this doesn't mean you
can't use if for XML processing.  At this stage, this could become rather
complex as we don't provide high-level constructs yet to manipulate this XML
data, so you'd have to either build this yourself or do more low-level XML
manipulation.  As part of our move to BPMN2, we are however planning to
seriously enhance this, by adding XPath as a constraint language dialect,
better web service integration (as part of our integration with the ESB and
the entire SOA platform), etc.

Kris