[rules-users] Inheritance-Like Design Question

malkhafaji moe.alkhafaji at medcpu.com
Fri Mar 5 12:09:31 EST 2010

Hello,

I know, from searching this forum and posting before, that the concept of
inheritance does not exist today in Drools. However, I have a need for it.
Here is my specific situation:

I have certain rules that have some generic conditions to be fired:

Rule 1
If A Then X end

Rule 2
If A, B Then Y end

What I would like to do is, if Rule 2 is true, then I don't want Rule 1 to
execute. I have many and many of those rules, so combining all the
conditions in less number of rules violates our design having rules being
mutually exclusive. That is why I wanted to include this behavior as a
natural inheritance behavior rather than forcing the flow with logic inside
the rule itself (you will make rules aware of others this way).

So, since there is not built-in feature that allows you to do that, do
people suggest anything that I can do without having to mix Rule 1 and Rule
2 into one rule with complex conditional statements? Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is taking this logic processing outside of
drools, which is something that I am not too excited about.

Thanks.