[rules-users] Batch processing of facts in Drools?

Ryan Fitzgerald ryan.fitzgerald at ericsson.com
Thu Mar 11 07:09:57 EST 2010

Hi,

In our application, we want to process a large amount of facts. However, to avoid an overload on memory and drools, we would like to process the facts in batches.

Our rules are setup so that we only insert a small number of initial or "root" facts, and then these facts trigger rules to fire that cause many other facts to be inserted, themselves triggering other rules.

One way of batching this would be for the application to only insert the root facts into memory one by one and not inserting the next root fact until the previous one (and the batch of facts associated with it) have been processed and subsequently revoked.

However, instead of the batching being controlled by the application, I would like to use a rule to do this i.e. insert all the root facts into memory and then call fireAllRules and have them processed one at a time.

Does anyone have an idea how I can write a rule that causes a set of facts to trigger their rules, one fact at a time?

Thanks.