[rules-users] high sailence event/utility rules and ruleflows

H.C. canterburry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 22:18:00 EST 2010

I have a number of business rules structured into ruleflow groups and a
ruleflow to determine the order of execution of these groups. At the same
time, I have a number of maintenance and utility rules that do side tasks
such as maintain counts or summations, detect error conditions etc. These
utility rules need to come in immediately whenever necessary and don't
belong to any one ruleflow group but should fire whenever needed anywhere.
In other rule engine products I have used event rules to accomplish this.

I drools I am trying to achieve the same with setting a high salience on
these rules and not tagging them with with a ruleflow group.

Will this work correctly in drools when used with ruleflows? Will all rules
within a particular ruleflow group fire and then re-fire if these
maintenance rules update facts in the LHS...or...will the entire flow
complete and only then will these maintenance rules be considered since they
don't have a flow group?

Are there other ways to accomplish what I describe in drools?

Thanks.