[rules-users] Drools stateless session question

Shah, Malay Malay.Shah at morganstanley.com
Mon Mar 22 14:46:10 EDT 2010

Thanks W. Let me give you a rule that is causing us issues. Lets say we have classes:

class A
{
	int a;
	String id;
}
Class B
{
	int  b;
	String id;
}
Class C
{
	int c;
	String id;
}

and we have 12000 objects each. These objects are connected using "id" property.
If the rule is something like:

Rule "ABC"
When
	Obj_A: A(a!=1)			//10000 object "A" instances have a!=1
	Obj_B: B(b!=2,Obj_A.id = id)		//10000 object "B" instances have b!=2
	Obj_C: C(c!=3,Obj_B.id = id)		//10000 object "C" instances have c!=3
Then
	System.out.println("Rule fired");
End

This means there would be a join between A, B and C objects (10000 A's * 10000 B's * 10000 C's) to evaluate the rule. In such cases, we see very high org.drools.reteoo.LeftTuple object count while profiling the app. Is there a way to make the rete algo perform this evaluation serially, or in batches, or use some object swapping mechanism to limit creation of intermediate LeftTuple objects? Would the rete algo use indexes in this case? That would potentially decrease these intermediate objects. Currently, we use 5G heap and that is not enough for evaluating this rule.

Regards,
Malay