[rules-users] Resuming the Flow: SESSION_ID, PROCESS_INSTANCE_ID, WORKITEM_ID

tolitius webakaunt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 04:30:12 EDT 2010

I understand it is persisted (with WS handler out of the box), what I need to
be able to do is to find _this particular_ WorkItemID once the flow is
resumed not relying on WS handler.

WS implementation of Human Task handler, persists workItemID and have a task
associated with it, therefore, when the task gets completed, the framework
knows how to find that workItemId, since it is associated with _that_
particular task.

But let's say I am not using WS human task handler, and I have my own
workItemHandler. What I need to be able to do is having SESSION_ID and
PROCESS_INSTANCE_ID to find that _particular_ workItemId, that causes the
flow to wait.

I understand I can get all the node instances, and all the subflow node
instances, etc.. iterate over all the workitems... But instead what I want
to be able to do is something similar to:

processInstance.findWorkItemsInWaitState()

where it gives me [most of the time a single, but can be] a list of only
those work items that _currently_ cause the flow to wait. And if I do not do
any kind of parallel processing (true async parallel processing), it is
always going to be just that one work item that I need.

Is that something I can do, or do I need to come up with a different
approach (one of which I talked before [saving a work item id as a flow
variable])?

Thank you,
/Anatoly