[rules-users] drools expert: memory issues

miguel machado mls.machado at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 16:53:33 EDT 2010

hi again,

On 30 Mar 2010, at 18:32, Edson Tirelli <ed.tirelli at gmail.com> wrote:

   I am not sure I understand what you are doing when you say:

> Every X seconds I collect the available facts and call fireAllRules() +
dispose(), **always within the same session**.
(emphasis is mine)

i meant that i keep using the same object, i just create one stateful
session throughout the program execution.

   Compilation indeed uses more memory, but you can compile once and reuse
the kbase.

exactly, i'm doing that, but it's a +700 rule file and its taking too much
memory. Is there anything i can do to push it down a little bit? i wouldn't
mind slowing it down to reduce memory footprint.

Also, if you are calling dispose, I guess you are running stateful sessions.
Maybe you can give us a more detailed description of your
session/data/application lifecycle?

Sure, i'll try. So i have this thread which initializes by reading the rule
base from a drl file. It then creates a stateful session from it and enters
a lifecycle in which it goes to sleep and only when some other thread wakes
it up, it collects and inserts some facts (usually 2,3 or 4..) into the
session and fire all rules. It's basically this. What i'm very concerned
about is the amount of RAM memory the whole program is consuming. I must
find a way to reduce some of it, because the rule file is being prepared by
an external program and i have no control over the number of rules i might
get. If i test it with a little over 700 rules, it reaches +300Mb which is a
lot.

Maybe the rules are too complex? Shall i try to make them simpler (how)?
what are the big memory hogs when it comes to loading a DRL file to the
knowledge base? From what i've been testing, it doesn't even matter which
rules you will actually need, it just loads the entire DRL file with no
respect to the future activations, am i right? Is there any other aspect i
should take in mind or maybe other approach?

_ miguel