[rules-users] Can NOT map variable to "User Task" in BPMN2

nanic23 nanic23 at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 19:38:49 EDT 2010

Hi All,

1. I have the following BPMN2 flow.

  http://n3.nabble.com/file/n780238/flow.jpg

2. With a String type flow variable called "firstName".

http://n3.nabble.com/file/n780238/props.jpg

3. "Work Handler" has a WorkItemHandler behind it that just prints out the
value of "firstName". Variable "firstName" is mapped in "Parameter Mapping".

4. "User Task" is a Human Task node with just a regular WorkItemHandler
behind it that as well just prints out the value of "firstName". There is NO
Mina Server involvement, just a common WorkItemHandler. Variable "firstName"
is mapped in "Parameter Mapping".

5. "Finished Script" just access "firstName" directly.

Results:
1. "Work Handler" executes just fine and prints the value of "firstName".
2. "Finished Script" executes just fine and prints the value of "firstName".
3. "User Task" can NOT find "firstName" and shows the following error:

http://n3.nabble.com/file/n780238/error1.jpg

Comments:
1. I don't believe it is a mapping problem as I have declared the variable
at the flow level and mapped it accordingly to each node. Is not a typo
error either as I checked that like more than 100 times :)
2. I have the same example in a Ruleflow (.rf) instead of BPMN2 (.bpmn) and
it works just fine.

Questions:
1. Is there any difference in mapping in variables to a "User Task" node in
BPMN2 vs Ruleflow? Specially when not using the Mina Server and just
registering a regular WorkItemHandler?
2. Do I have to declare any kind of "scope" for the variable? "Work Handler"
doesn't seem to have any problems and doesn't complain about "scope".
3. Any other ideas why the WorkItemHandler behind "User Task" cannot find
"firstName"?

I appreciate any comments or ideas.

Thanks,

Nick.