[rules-users] Getting started with Drools Fusion

Tina Vießmann tviessmann at stud.hs-bremen.de
Fri May 7 10:38:12 EDT 2010

Hello everybody :)

I'm completely new to the Drools universe. I've discovered Drools, or more
specifically Drools Fusion, by looking for a powerful CEP engine.
I've read the DF user guide and came up with some issues about DF features.
It would be great, if anyone can give me some explanations and/or refer to
different information sources.

My questions:

1. Persistence of events:
I know that DF can store events explicitly and implicitly. But does it
store events in persistent (e.g., I can continue my computation after a
reboot)? If it does, how are the events stored?

2. Sliding windows:
It's written that a window contains the last X events/the event occurred
in the last X time units. Is it somehow possible to specify a window for
process only old events - which does not catch up to the latest event?
(Lets assume we have the times A, B and C with: A < B < C  and  C ==
current time. Is it possible to specify a window that process events
occurred between A and B?)
So are more complex windows like described in chapter 7 of the book 'Event
Processing in Action' (see http://www.manning.com/etzion/) possible?

Are there any (step-to-step) tutorials / how-tos about simple DF programs?

In case my questions are stupid because they can be answered when knowing
Drools, but I've got absolute now experience using Drools. At the moment I
kind of have the feeling, Drools is a little bit too complex for just
using to implement CEP applications...

Thanks for any help! :)

Tina