[rules-users] Using Drools as a glorified Hashmap

djb dbrownell83 at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 05:56:21 EDT 2010

Hi Drools users,

I've got a situation where I've got a list of Drug codes which can only be
used for certain prescription codes.

The traditional method for implementing this is to simply pre-load the
values in a static Hashmap.  Then if get() returns null, it is not a valid
combination.  O(1), blazingly fast.

The issue with using Drools for this, is that Drools can match a code to a
code, and mark it as valid, but cannot call it invalid, as another rule may
still be relevant.  Therefore, using Drools for this would require marking
combinations as valid, and afterwards, doing a linear traversal of the
prescriptions to see if there are any combinations that are not valid.

Is this the case?  I would like to try implement it in Drools just for the
sake of consistency, but it seems a bit of a hack.

Thanks,
Daniel