[rules-users] Simple decision service, zero coding (was: Drools5 in tomcat 5)

Rubén Marrero ruben at lingo.mx
Wed May 26 22:29:19 EDT 2010

Hi again:

We've been learning, installing and in general getting ourselves acquainted with drools.

The last iteration left us with a correctly installed drools-server service, which can be used with curl on the command line. We post data and get data back, we basically ended up installing verbatim an example from somewhere on the internets.

Now we've hit what appears to be a brick wall. We don't want / can't code in Java, and we still want to have a decision service.

Here's what we need. Please feel free to comment on the requirement itself or the possible solution (if any)

    1. Creation of rules on a simple text file, residing on our PHP application tree.
    2. Any amount of rules say in /var/www/my_web_app/lib/drooles :-)
    3. Creation and removal of said files without any kind of restarting, reloadin' or resettin'
    4. Invocation of any given rule, using libcurl inside PHP and connecting to a REST URL. POSTing a lump of JSON data, and expecting JSON data as result.
    5. No Java coding or syntax in the rules file.
    6. Simple syntax for the rules; something like YAML would be great.
    7. No external requirements (Jars or whatnot)

We see all the time that the rules have import statements in them, meaning that they are in some way Java themselves. We want to use some neutral syntax so that our PHP coders can express business rules in a pinch, and just execute it.

Is this a realistic set of expectations? can it be done?

Thanks for your time,
Rubén