[rules-users] Exception using persistence

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Sun May 30 20:54:58 EDT 2010

On 30/05/2010 20:28, Robert wrote:
> Hi, I followed the instructions on setting up the persistence in the
> drools flow doc, but I get the following exception:
>

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not commit
> session
> 	at
> org.drools.persistence.session.SingleSessionCommandService.<init>(SingleSessionCommandService.java:133)
> 	at
> org.drools.persistence.jpa.impl.JPAKnowledgeServiceProviderImpl.newStatefulKnowledgeSession(JPAKnowledgeServiceProviderImpl.java:44)
> 	at
> org.drools.persistence.jpa.JPAKnowledgeService.newStatefulKnowledgeSession(JPAKnowledgeService.java:93)
> 	at
> com.rob.server.core.process.drools.tasks.DroolsProcessHandler.<init>(DroolsProcessHandler.scala:130)
> 	at
> com.rob.server.core.process.drools.tasks.StartDroolsProcessHandler$.main(DroolsProcessHandler.scala:33)
> 	at
> com.rob.server.core.process.drools.tasks.StartDroolsProcessHandler.main(DroolsProcessHandler.scala)
> Caused by: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException; remaining name
> 'UserTransaction'
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.jndi.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:576)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.jndi.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:663)
> 	at org.eclipse.jetty.jndi.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:678)
> 	at
> org.eclipse.jetty.jndi.java.javaRootURLContext.lookup(javaRootURLContext.java:110)
> 	at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:392)
> 	at
> org.drools.persistence.session.SingleSessionCommandService.<init>(SingleSessionCommandService.java:109)
> 	... 5 more
>

> I have no idea what this means. I guess SingleSessionCommandService is
> looking up for "UserTransaction", but whats the "UserTransaction" ?

You need to configure JTA and JNDI, it uses the standard JNDI lookup
mechanism to find the UserTransaction it's to be associated with. See
javadocs example here:
http://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/job/drools/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/target/javadocs/stable/drools-api/org/drools/persistence/jpa/JPAKnowledgeService.html

Each transaction framework has a different way to be configured, some
are simpler than others.

Mark