[rules-users] Building a rule base from the content of a directory

Bruno Freudensprung bruno.freudensprung at temis.com
Wed Nov 3 11:15:48 EDT 2010

Hello,

I plan to use the Drools Eclipse plugin in order to create rules with
both the "Guided rule" editor and the "Rule resource" editor, and I
would like to write a rather "generic" piece of code (using a
KnowledgeBuilder) in order to setup a KnowledgeBase from the rule files
contained in a directory.

Would you say that am I completly re-inventing something that already
exists? If not, is there is a convention related to building a rule base
from a directory containing a mix of Drools files (drools.package, BRL,
DRL...) created with the Drools Eclipse plugin?

My first experiments showed that, in a directory containing only a BRL
file and its associated "drools.package" file:

    * If I add both the "drools.package" file (as a DRL resource), then
      the BRL file (as a BRL resource) into the KnowledgeBuilder, I get
      a compilation error telling "Unable to resolve ObjectType 'Document'"
    * If I concatenate the content of the "drools.package" file and the
      result of the "BRL 2 DRL" conversion into a single DRL file, then
      add that unique DRL file (as a DRL resource) into the
      KnowledgeBuilder, everything is fine.

Does any of you have an idea where I am mistaken?
Many thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Bruno.