[rules-users] OutOfMemoryError during marshalling with NOT conditions

ulibube jboss.z.ulib at xoxy.net
Tue Nov 16 14:40:59 EST 2010

A little while back someone posted a message about an OutOfMemoryError
problem when marshalling a knowledgebase containing rules with NOT
conditions:

http://drools-java-rules-engine.46999.n3.nabble.com/OutOfMemoryError-on-marshalling-with-non-existence-check-in-flow-XOR-split-td443126.html

Someone created a JIRA issue for him, which says that it's fixed, but there
are two comments on it now saying that it is not (in 5.1.1), one of them
being mine:

https://jira.jboss.org/browse/JBRULES-2453

I don't know the recommended procedure for requesting a bug to be reopened
or cloned, which is why I am posting here. My apologies. I am quite
convinced that there is still a bug in that code.

For illustration, below is a little rule base which lets me reproduce the
issue. The three fact types are pretty simple, and I insert 2 facts for
DCMSeries and about 630 for DCMInstance. The marshalling breaks if done
after inserting the facts and before a call to fireAllRules. Marshalling
afterwards does not consistently exhibit this issue. Eliminating the "not"
condition also "fixes" the problem.

Uli

package mypackage

import somepackage.DCMInstance
import somepackage.DCMSeries
import somepackage.StackingOrder

rule "Stack Default"
when
	DCMSeries( $suid : uid )
	DCMInstance( seriesUID == $suid, $iuid: uid )
	not StackingOrder(instanceUID == $iuid)